Mountain Training – 6-day Workout
A good friend and customer of KUIU, Seth Larson, has operated a crossfit gym in the Wyoming for over ten years. He’s passionate about fitness and is year-round getting mountain hunters in shape for season. Seth’s Monday-through-Saturday workouts take commitment and discipline. Yes, six days a week, but they’ll make your time on the mountain much more enjoyable and successful.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO GET STARTED
- Weighted Hunting Backpack: Start the first week with 15-25 pounds in your hunting pack.
- Sturdy box, platform, or steps for doing step ups.
- Stay Hydrated. If you plan on following this routine, it’s recommended you drink one gallon of water every day.
20-minute AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible). Repeat the following three movements for 20 minutes. Keep moving with as few breaks as possible.
20 PACK OVERHEAD SIT-UPS
- Crunch your torso as you do when performing a sit-up with your arms extended directly above your chest. Next press the ball/weight to an overhead position. Lower your upper body back to the starting position while bringing the ball/weight back down to over your chest. This works all the major muscle groups: core, shoulders, and chest.
20 PACK BENT OVER ROWS
- Grab your backpack with your hands just wider than shoulder-width apart and let it hang with your arms straight. Brace your core and squeeze your shoulders together to row the weight up until it touches your sternum, then slowly lower it back down again. This works all the major muscle groups: back, shoulders, arms, and core.
30 WALKING LUNGES (15 EACH LEG)
- Stand upright, feet together, and take a controlled step forward with your right leg, lowering your hips toward the floor by bending both knees to 90-degree angles. The back knee should point toward but not touch the ground, and your front knee should be directly over the ankle. Repeat while rotating between both legs walking forward. This works all the major muscle groups: legs, and core.
- Burpee plus overhead raises.
15 BURPEES OVER YOUR PACK
- Start standing, drop to the floor, do a push-up, get back up, and jump with an over your pack and repeat on the other side. This works all the major muscle groups: legs, shoulders, arms, chest, and back.
25 PACK FLOOR TO OVERHEAD PACK RAISES
- Start standing, pick pack up off the floor, lift it above your head, set it back down on the ground, and repeat. This works all the major muscle groups: legs, shoulders, arms, chest, and back.
REST 2 MINUTES AND REPEAT
- Attempt to complete the 15 over-your-pack burpees and the 25 floor to overhead pack raises as fast as possible, then take a 2-minute rest. Complete this 5 times.
20 MINUTE WORKOUT
20-MINUTES OF BOX STEP-UPS.
- To perform the step-up, place one foot on top of the box, with one foot on the ground. Driving through that front foot, extend your leg completely straight before bringing the opposite foot onto the box. Repeat this for a specific number of repetitions, then lead with the left foot and repeat the same number of repetitions.
10 PUSHUPS EVERY 2 MINUTES
- Wearing your hunting pack is optional but recommended even if you have to take it off part way through at first. Every 2 minutes you will stop and perform 10 pushups then resume box step ups. You can do the pushups on your knees if needed. You should not take more then 30 seconds to complete the pushups.
20 MINUTE EMOM (EVERY MINUTE ON THE MINUTE COMPLETE THE BELOW MOVEMENTS)
Each minute if you complete the repetitions of each movement before the 60 seconds is up you rest with time remaining in that minute. Then repeat at the start of each minute.
8-10 BODYWEIGHT SQUATS
8-12 MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS
- Start in a plank position with your hands stacked directly under your shoulders. Drive one knee forward toward your chest while engaging your abs. Return to your plank position, then drive the knee of your opposite foot in. Repeat the movement, alternating legs and speeding up your movements.