Cold-Weather Layering Systems
Deciding what you’re going to wear for extreme cold-weather hunting pursuits takes serious consideration. Finding the best cold-weather layering system—that won’t weigh you down—will enhance your performance and endurance on the hunt.
In addition, hunting brings a wide range of activity levels. Even if it’s below freezing, hiking with a spiked heart rate may have you down to a base-layer top to keep comfortable. Yet in the same conditions, while stationary and glassing, layered up with an insulated jacket and pant system is required.
By leveraging the KUIU skin-to-shell layering system, you can layer up or down to keep comfortable, warm, and protected in the coldest condition and easily adapt to any activity level. Whether you’re building your system from the ground up, or fine-tuning the kit you have, in this article we’ll offer layering examples centered around our three warmest outer layers.
Extreme Wind, Rain, Snow, Sleet. 0° to -40°F ( -17 to -40°C).
- Base Layer Top: PRO Merino 200 Zip-T
- Zip-off Bottom: PRO Merino 200 Zip-Off Bottom
- Mid Layer- Fleece: StrongFleece Hybrid 260 Zip-T Hoodie
- Mid Layer Insulation: Kenai Jacket
- Hunting Pant: Axis Hybrid Pant
- Outer Layer- Insulated Parka: Super Down Burner Parka
- Outer Layer- Insulated Pant: Kutana Gale Force Pant or Super Down PRO Pant
Extreme Wind, Rain, Snow, Sleet. 32° to -40°F ( -0 to -40°C).
- Base Layer Top: Peloton 118 LS Crew-T
- Zip-off Bottom: Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-Off Bottom
- Mid Layer- Fleece: Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-T Hoodie
- Mid Layer- Insulation: Super Down ULTRA Jacket
- Hunting Pant: Talus Hybrid Pant
- Outer Layer- Insulated Jacket: Kutana Gale Force Hooded Jacket
- Outer Layer- Insulated Pant: Kutana Gale Force Pant
Heavy Wind, Snow. 32° to 0°F (0 to -17°C).
- Base Layer Top: ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T Hunting Shirt
- Zip-off Bottom: ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-Off Bottom
- Mid Layer- Fleece: Peloton 240 Full Zip
- Mid Layer- Insulation: Kenai Vest
- Hunting Pant: Guide Pant
- Outer Layer- Insulated Jacket: Super Down PRO Hooded Jacket
- Outer Layer- Insulated Pant: Super Down PRO Pant
- Waterproof Insulated Hunting Glove: NorthStar Glove
- Waterproof Insulated Glomitt: NorthStar Glomitt
- Insulated Glassing Glomitt: Super PRO Down Glassing Glommit
- Insulated Beanie: Kenai Beanie
- Insulated Bomber: Kenai Bomber Hat
- Hunting Boot Gaiter: Yukon HD Hunting Boot Gaiter
- Cold-Weather Hunting Sock: ULTRA Merino Crew Sock
- Cold-Weather Hunting Boot: Scarpa Rebel Insulated 10 HD 32° to 0°F (0 to -17°C).
- Neck Gaiter: ULTRA Merino 145 Neck Gaiter
KUIU Layering System
Each base, mid, and outer layer of the system features its own fit type and purpose. Learn more about how to build the optimal layering system at KUIU.
5 Layering System Builds for Fall Hunting
We selected five hunters with varied body types and asked what species they’re hunting, the expected conditions, and what they’ll be wearing.